The postnatal period is the start of a new era in the mother and her family’s life. It is a special and rare time, a time to remember and treasure. Yet this period also places new demands on the mother when she needs the opportunity to rest, recuperate and adjust to her new life situation.
The postnatal doula works in a flexible way to meet the changing needs of the whole family. She takes time to listen to the mother’s birth story, to offer positive suggestions, to support with the feeding and care of the newborn baby. She may also help out with siblings, prepare occasional meals and undertake other light household tasks.
The postnatal doula works in a flexible way to meet the changing needs of the whole family. She nurtures the mother, enhancing her confidence and encouraging her to enjoy the precious early days with her new baby.
A Postnatal doula might provide:
• An opportunity to share your experience and your birth story
• Breast feeding support
• general baby care ideas/assistance
• Emotional support and reassurance
• Signposting of information and evidence based research
• Taking care of the baby, giving you time out to rest or do other things
• Practical help with light housework and food preparation
• Care of siblings
Click here to read a testimonial.