The postnatal period is the start of a new era in the birthing parent's, and their family’s, life. It is a special and rare time, a time to remember and treasure. This period also places new demands on the birth parent when they need the opportunity to rest, recuperate and adjust to their new life situation.
The postnatal doula works in a flexible way to meet the changing needs of the whole family. The postnatal doula takes time to listen to the mother’s birth story, to offer positive suggestions, to support with the feeding and care of the newborn baby. They may also help out with siblings, prepare occasional meals and undertake other light household tasks.
The postnatal doula works in a flexible way to meet the changing needs of the whole family. They nurture the birthing parent, enhancing their confidence and encouraging them to enjoy the precious early days with their new baby.
A Postnatal doula might provide:
• An opportunity to share your experience and your birth story
• Breastfeeding support
• General baby care ideas/assistance
• Emotional support and reassurance
• Signposting of information and evidence based research
• Taking care of the baby, giving you time out to rest or do other things
• Practical help with light housework and food preparation
• Care of siblings
Click here to read a testimonial.